My Less Than Perfect HP Customer Service Experience



So, let me first of all explain what has happened. I purchased an HP G42-415DX a while back as one of my main computers (I will post a review of it on the blog shortly). It worked great, except for a couple of flaws that I will mention in the review. About a week ago, which is about three months since I purchased the computer, it started to freeze. I thought that maybe it was just a glitch or something and that restarting the computer would fix it, but that was not the case. It turns out that the hard drive had failed, and I needed to get it replaced. I decided to run some diagnostics tests before contacting HP and I ran a hard drive test which failed. Then I decided to contact HP and see what they could do for me, as the laptop was still in warranty.

I contacted them via chat for the first time, and they told me that I should run the hard drive test again. I ran it and got a failure ID, but then they told me that I had to run the test via the BIOS. Until now I had been running the tests via the HP diagnostics software. I was fine with running the test via the BIOS, so I did. It turned out that the BIOS tests would take about an hour and a half, so the HP agent told me that I should contact HP once it was finished. I waited for the test to finish, but I did not get an error code. I thought that this was strange, but I decided to contact HP again and ask them what was going on. They told me to run the test again, but this was really unacceptable for me, so I told them that the test was not resulting in an error code. They put me on hold and told me that I would need to replace the hard drive. I was fine with this, and asked them what my options were. They told me that they could ship me a new hard drive and that I could replace it, and I didn’t think that this was a very good option for me because I didn’t want to be liable if anything ended up happening.

Now, I am pretty much a nerd and know my way around computers, so changing a hard drive isn’t really a very big deal for me. I guess that I just couldn’t believe that HP was making other customers change their own hard drives. I don’t know what I had against it that much, I guess I didn’t really like the idea. I asked them if there were any other options, and they said that I could send in my computer for repair, but that it would take about a month to get it back to me. This was unacceptable, as I use this computer every day and I don’t really think that I could go without a computer for a month. I asked them if it would be possible to just get a replacement computer, but they said that they don’t offer that. Then, somehow, someone from HP told me that it would be necessary to replace the motherboard, and I have no idea why they said that. I didn’t know what was going on, and then they told me that they would transfer me. Then they transferred me and the agent told me that I did not need to replace the motherboard, just the hard drive, and that the agent whom I had talked to was wrong. I was getting really confused and decided to agree on replacing the hard drive myself.

Anyway, I was on the phone with them for about four hours, which is completely unacceptable. Also, the line quality was terrible with all of the representatives except for one, which led me to believe that it was on their end. I was transferred numerous times and I don’t really think that any of the agents knew what to do.

Once I received the hard drive I replaced it. It turned about being surprisingly easy to replace it. They even sent me a 7200 RPM hard drive to replace the 5400 RPM one. That was good, even though it was refurbished. The hard drive worked fine and I was able to recover my files, although it was extremely difficult.  My computer would freeze after a couple of minutes of use, so I had to recover my files in parts. I ended up getting everything back to normal, but the reason why I am writing this article is because of my horrible experience with HP customer service. I mean, it should not take four hours to get a new hard drive for a computer, and they should really get some better repair options than having the customer repair their own hard drive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright Notice

You are not allowed to publish or copy any of the content on this website to any other website or location on the Internet unless you are given written permission to do so.